Are you a pet parent and a resin artist? You may have a lot of questions in mind regarding the harmful effects of resin on your pet dog. In this blog, I have researched online, spoken to friends of pet parents (who are resin artists too), and compiled information on all you need to know about ‘is resin toxic for dogs.’

As an artist, we tend to leave our materials scattered in our workspace when working on a certain piece till it is finished. Working with epoxy resin and leaving it exposed to our pets can be tricky. Sometimes, they may accidentally end up licking a small amount of epoxy resin or they may get exposed to its fumes while the artwork is curing.

So, read the blog carefully to know at what stage is epoxy resin safe and when it becomes toxic for your canine companions.

is resin toxic for dogs

What Is Epoxy Resin?

Epoxy resin is a fluid art medium. It comes in two components, part A is resin and part B is the hardener. When we mix the two components in the brand suggested ratio it cures and solidifies like hard plastic.

Resin is used to create furniture, household items like trays, coasters, petri dishes, soap dishes, pen stands, keychains, fridge magnets, tables, nameplates, and many more.

The use of epoxy resin has become common these days as more and more people are using it to create various art forms like resin paintings and geodes.

My Dog Has Licked Epoxy Resin. Is Resin Toxic For Dogs?

Epoxy resin in itself is not considered toxic for dogs. But when mixed with hardener, the epoxy resin becomes toxic. When resin and hardener are mixed together, it becomes toxic to inhale as well as can have adverse health effects if your dog accidentally licks the mixture.

If your dog happens to lick only a small amount of epoxy resin, it can show mild symptoms like stomach aches, vomiting, and/or diarrhea. This isn’t an alarming situation if the symptoms subside in a few hours. But keep a watch on their condition. See a vet immediately if your pet doesn’t seem to recover in 24 hours.

In case, if your dog has eaten a good amount of resin, it can prove fatal to its health. If you see any of the below-mentioned symptoms, consult your pet’s vet immediately:

Drowsiness
Dizziness
Depression of breathing
Tremors or possible seizures 
Unusual vomiting 
Diarrhea (if it lasts longer than 24 hours)
Loss of appetite
Skin irritation or chemical burns

Inhalation of fumes from curing resin can cause oral irritation. And if the resin comes in contact with the skin, it may cause dermal irritation.

The mixture of resin and hardener is toxic. It absorbs calcium and magnesium from the blood. Our canine companions are curious and naughty by nature. It is our responsibility to make sure that our toxic art supplies aren’t crowding the areas used by our pets frequently. Moreover, make sure to clean the workspace and the floor of any resin residue spilled while working with epoxy.

Is Uncured Resin Toxic For Dogs? 

When we work with epoxy resin, it is not only highly toxic when mixed with the hardener. It is also poisonous while it is curing. As much it is advisable for us to stay out of the room while epoxy cures, so much is needed that we keep our pets out of the workspace where resin pieces are curing.

Curing resin also produces fumes that can adversely affect our furry friend’s health too. Moreover, dogs have a habit of putting things lying around in their mouth. If they happen to eat uncured epoxy resin, it is time to consult your vet immediately.

Is Cured Resin Toxic For Dogs? 

A cured resin is similar to hard plastic. Though, no studies so far have shown that cured resin can be harmful to your pet yet I would suggest keeping the resin items away from their reach.

As per my experience, it is never a good idea to use an epoxy resin plate for keeping eatables or eating directly from a resin dish. So, as a precautionary measure, I would insist on keeping even the cured resin products out of your pet’s reach.

I Am A Pet Parent. What Precautions Should I Take When Working With Epoxy Resin?

As pet parents, we are always worried about our dog’s health. We try and keep our surroundings clean and make sure to keep toxic materials out of the reach of our furry babies. But if you are an artist, and prefer to work with epoxy resin often, then here are a few steps that you can take to keep your pet safe and out of resin’s reach.

Have a separate room to do your epoxy resin work.
Always keep the room door closed tightly so that your pet may not venture into your workspace.
Make sure to close the lids of epoxy resin bottles tightly.
Keep the epoxy resin bottles on the top-most shelf, out of the reach of your furry baby.
Always try, I know it is easier said than done but do try to keep your workspace clean to avoid any possible pet accidents, if your baby’s curiosity makes its way to your artwork space.
Cover your work while it is curing.
Keep the windows open so that the fumes do not settle in the room.

Final Words On ‘Is Resin Toxic For Dogs?’

We all understand that epoxy resin is a chemical. And by nature, any chemical is health hazardous. So, as pet parents, we are always worried about what our pets might put in their mouth, sometimes knowingly and at other times accidentally. When working with resin, apart from taking all the precautions mentioned above, if you still feel your dog has eaten resin and you do not have the idea of the amount eaten or in what form has it consumed resin, immediately consult your pet’s vet. Keep your furry baby safe and away from your workspace and stay happy creating new art pieces.